starting strength gym

Thread: Form check (novice)

Default Form check (novice)

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hello!
    I could really use some feedback on my form. I'm a beginner so I'm probably doing all kinds of things wrong (I can spot a few things myself) so I'd really appreciate some good advice. Thanks!

Squats:

Rows:

Bench:

Is that David Barton's gym?

Please have another look at the sticky on filming form check videos--it is impossible to see anything useful in the squat vid.

P.S. ditto for the bench press--I cannot even see if the bar touches your chest.

^^^^^^^^^ Agreed. Review the sticky on filming your videos. You may think about submitting one at a time as well. Best of luck

Squat: Good start. I'd like a rear view of your stance, because I suspect it may be a hair wide for your frame and I think your could benefit from a slightly more toes out position, but I can't verify from this angle.

Rows: Rowing isn't part of the novice program around here - we power clean unless something legitimately rules it out. However, if you insist on doing them, I suggest getting a light pair of bumper plates and doing them from the floor (sometimes called 'Pendlay rows') - starting each rep essentially like a deadlift.

Bench: You're too relaxed. No tightness in your setup. Need a better angle to see the forearms from the front and/or front/side view.

And no more squishy running shoes for the gym!

Hey not too shabby at all.....can't really see much on squat and bench need better angle

Use the same grip and you would for bench press and try to pull it up a tad bit higher around your upper abs/ sternum area. As the previous I poster said bumper plates can help but if they are not add at least 5 or 10 lbs to each side, stack two 25s beneath each end and row the weight off of those to mimic the height of an Olympic plate.

On a side note u should definitely invest in some weightlifting shoes they will change your life haha