starting strength gym

Thread: Training dad with past back issues

Default Training dad with past back issues

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi Coaches,

I'm training my dad on all the main barbell lifts except for the power clean. I like his squat form and his deadlift is probably about as good as we can get it with his mild kyphosis.

After only two months on a twice/wk linear progression, he feels stronger, looks firmer (his goal is fat loss) and feels more flexible and mobile.

Here's the thing: He had a microdiscectomy a few years ago. I think it was L4-L5, but I can't be certain. It was a lumbar disc. The surgery mostly alleviated his sciatica and back pain immediately, and he improved more in the following weeks/months once the "nerve memory" subsided, the surgeon said. Bottom line: We want to be careful and conservative with weight selection. He's doing this to be fit - not to get as strong as possible.

As his sort of trainer, I plan on changing to a more conservative loading scheme earlier than I would otherwise. We'll probably change to once/wk weight jumps soon and then from there do an even slower form of periodization.

Should I do anything else special in terms of programming?
    Should I try to set any artificial ceiling in terms of how heavy to load his lifts?

Certainly, priority #1 is to tell him to listen to his body and to tell me how he feels. I think I will be pickier than normally with his form before he makes weight jumps.

Thank you for any advice on this,
    Michael

Sounds like your head is out of your ass and you're thinking straight here. In addition to your more conservative loading scheme and weight jumps, be an absolute stickler about good form. His technique should be excellent, and should be required to remain excellent. Not that we ever advocate sloppy technique, and Novices in general must learn absolutely correct technique in the context of their getting stronger. But but a healthy 20 year old will generally have more leeway in terms of going for a PR than your dad, so make sure that his focus remains on getting stronger while executing proper technique, rather than just getting stronger.

Thanks Comrade Wolf. Will follow suit with your recommendation. If you don't mind, I'd like to have a second set of eyes on his next deadlift session. I like his low back extension, but his thoracic flexion may be related primarily to kyphosis (although his driving-based job may also play a role). I'm not sure if it falls under the realm of acceptable technique. Will post back next week. Best,

Sure. It'll be harder to say from here, since I won't get to see what his anatomical kyphosis is by observing him just walking around, setting up, etc... in a 3-dimensional fashion. But we'll do our best.

Here he is, coach: http://youtu.be/F6ivVa-FbXM

Warm up set at 95, latter at 125. His heavier set looks better, since he's pulling from the mid foot. On set one, I notice he tends to put the bar down too far forward and unless he rolls the bar back, he pulls from that position.

Can you comment on his back position and anything else that needs work?

Thanks Wolf. Best,

The second set was better, but he still tends to drop his hips and doesn't really get set well. He does a quick hip-drop-back-set and then almost-but-not-quite jerks the bar off the floor. This won't work at 225. In addition to your verbal cueing, get in there and move him into position on the lighter sets. Make him feel where mid-foot is, and where his hips are when bar is over mid foot and shins touching the bar. Keep his hips at that height while you have him squeeze up. I expect he'll probably still have a more kyphotic posture than textbook, but that's ok if he's squeezed up fully.

Generally, though, these aren't awful by any means. Get his body alignment and squeeze-up right, and they'll look pretty darn good. A couple more minor tweaks after that, but let's see that first.

starting strength coach development program
    Got it, Comrade. Thanks for the pointers. I can definitely get in there and put him into a better position. I think the light bar is part of his failure to really squeeze the slack out, but I know that his hip position can be worked on immediately.