starting strength gym
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Getting started on my first NLP

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Just a few comments, based on scanning the posts directly above.

The book - get a paper copy. Each successive reading will have you highlighting something different. If you do it in different colors, you'll see your progression of what's important and will help you easily refresh your memory. The Kindle is great, but not really conducive to what we're trying to do here.

re: warmups - 80% for your last warmup is too large a jump to your workset. That will become increasingly evident once things get heavy. And especially on the presses. Here SSC Phil Meggers describes a great way to figure them out, not using percentages (for the most part). If you look at my logs pre-February 2024, you'll see where I've listed my warmup reps and they follow that pattern that Phil describes (just know that my weights are listed in lbs, not kgs).

Good move on changing your deadlift jumps to 2.5kgs.

"Feeling" in your deadlifts. Are you talking about feeling during or after the lift? For your legs, it should never be either. Yes, you are pushing the floor away from the bar, but if you're properly set up, you'll just push the floor. There isn't a specific feeling associated with that. As far as after the lift, you shouldn't either, since no part of the deadlift imparts an eccentric stretch during the deadlift, which is what gives you that DOMS sensation.

As far as the rounding of your upper back in the lower third of the deadlift, you just aren't setting your upper back sufficiently. Before each rep, and as you take your breath, perform a "cat-cow" as in yoga. Excessively round your entire back (cat), then push your stomach to the floor and show your chest to the wall in front of you (cow). Make sure to engage your lats tightly. Those motions will help you extend your upper back and hold it in place.

Keep at it!

The book - get a paper copy. Each successive reading will have you highlighting something different. If you do it in different colors, you'll see your progression of what's important and will help you easily refresh your memory. The Kindle is great, but not really conducive to what we're trying to do here.
    Thanks, that's a great idea, I'll give getting a paper copy a shot - I opted for a digital version because shipping costs, but perhaps its worth it, I like the idea of highlighting sections as I go along in my journey.

re: warmups - 80% for your last warmup is too large a jump to your workset. That will become increasingly evident once things get heavy. And especially on the presses. Here SSC Phil Meggers describes a great way to figure them out, not using percentages (for the most part). If you look at my logs pre-February 2024, you'll see where I've listed my warmup reps and they follow that pattern that Phil describes (just know that my weights are listed in lbs, not kgs).
    Thats quite a nice illustration in the video, thank you for passing it along. I like the "convenience" factor it brings (i.e. don't bother with the smaller plates, just make the jumps even. I hear what you're saying about the 80% becoming taxing
    later on, I'll see how I can shift things as my workouts continue

"Feeling" in your deadlifts. Are you talking about feeling during or after the lift? For your legs, it should never be either. Yes, you are pushing the floor away from the bar, but if you're properly set up, you'll just push the floor. There isn't a specific feeling associated with that. As far as after the lift, you shouldn't either, since no part of the deadlift imparts an eccentric stretch during the deadlift, which is what gives you that DOMS sensation.
    Yes - during the lift. I don't really feel like my legs are engaged in the lift at all. The best analogy I can make is, they currently just hold my upper body up? I suspect its likely technique, but perhaps it's just not heavy enough yet. As for DOMS, I don't really feel sore. I have some stiffness in my muscles the day after, but some stretching sorts that out without too much hassle at this point.

As far as the rounding of your upper back in the lower third of the deadlift, you just aren't setting your upper back sufficiently. Before each rep, and as you take your breath, perform a "cat-cow" as in yoga. Excessively round your entire back (cat), then push your stomach to the floor and show your chest to the wall in front of you (cow). Make sure to engage your lats tightly. Those motions will help you extend your upper back and hold it in place.
    Ah, this might be the piece of the puzzle I've been missing. I'll have my training partner also read this article so he can take a look when I lift next session, but I suspect my arms kinda just hang down currently at the start position, so I'll give the "elbows back" cue a go. Currently its more of a "pull my shoulders back" movement at the start (and that may well be why I injured my upper back during the last couple sessions (pain that I can only describe as almost a pinch where what I assume is my lower traps connect to my shoulder blades - please note, I know close to 0 about muscle groups other than the obvious ones, so my terminology might be completely off here).

Thank you for the pointers, I look forward to implementing them next session

Had 2 more sessions in the meantime - and missed a session end of last week due to a storm and flooding in my area unfortunately.

8 July '24

Exercise Warmup x5 Warmup x5 Warmup x5 Warmup x3 Warmup x2 Working set x5 Working set x5 Working set x5
    Squat 20 20 30 45 60 75 75 75
    Overhead Press 20 20 20 22.5 30 37.5 37.5 37.5
    Deadlift 60 60 70 80 85

11 July '24

Exercise Warmup x5 Warmup x5 Warmup x5 Warmup x3 Warmup x2 Working set x5 Working set x5 Working set x5
    Squat 20 20 30 45 60 77.5 77.5 77.5
    Bench 20 20 30 40 50 62.5 62.5 62.5
    Deadlift 60 60 70 80 87.5

Deadlifts are still a struggle (form not weight). I am starting a mobility routine daily (and perhaps twice a day), as I am struggling with flexibility in bending over for the setup on the deadlifts (can't keep hips high, and
    knees travel out instead of forward in order for me to reach down). It's a struggle, I'll get there. Am improving every session.

Squats this last workout where fantastic, consistently getting lower and lower, and every time I do it feels better and better. Really enjoyed the workout. Weight is getting to a point where it "feels" heavy just holding it,
    but I don't have issues finishing my sets of 5 yet, so happy to carry on carrying on. Definitely feel positive after this last workout.

starting strength coach development program
    I'll just note that, as an overweight older guy (57, 5'7", 250 lbs), Deadlift was the most difficult for me to adjust to for proper form, and remains difficult even though the bar goes up fast even as I've increased weight lifted.
    I joke about bench being disproportionately strong for us "overweight guys" when we start off and remaining so for quite awhile. It makes sense - as Rip says, we are naturally "handsy" and bench is dealing with a thing in front of us, while squat and deads are using our back and our...er, hindquarters.
    Also concur with "get a paper copy of the book and keep rereading it and highlighting it". Every time I've lifted at home I'd have the blue book with me and skim it during rest periods between sets. There's so much information and some of it only hits when you're actually dealing with an issue under the bar.

Great to read your progress and good luck as you continue! I can say that my knees have gotten MUCH better since I started squatting. I haven't lost much weight at all but have lost over 3 inches around my midsection. I won't discuss how many more inches I have to go, but it's heading in the right direction, and all the "it's a marathon not a sprint" and similar are accurate.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123