starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Press

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Nieveen View Post
    I had a baby last Monday so I missed 4 workouts. The gray book says to go back 3 weeks and repeat everything rep for rep. If I had done that the work sets today would have been 147.5. Since I failed at 157.5 last time I pressed, I went to 135 to make sure I got the reps. But I still failed on the third rep, so I went down to 120. I tried recreating the angle in the instruction videos, but the setup I have isn’t quite right.
    When your pussy stops hurting, you'll be back to 135.

We coach the press with more hip movement than this. Lots of videos on the forums.

Ok. Will try to implement more hip movement on Saturday.

You're moving your hips but failing to "whip" back up: you're thrusting your hips and just kind of freezing them there. Think your upper body as a lever that "flings" the weight up after the hips are thrust forward.

Today I really tried to move my hips as far forward as I could, and in doing so I started to unlock my knees again, despite squeezing my quads. When trying to “throw” the bar up, sometimes it looks like I’m getting a double bounce.

Set 1 130 - YouTube
    Set 2 130 - YouTube
    Set 3 130 - YouTube

Better hips. Now, look at your feet. Get some lifting shoes.

Your grip is creeping wider. In general, you have a "looseness" in your body that's letting the energy of the bounce (which you are correctly executing now) dissipate through it. I think thay might all come back to your grip. Stack your elbows more in front of your shoulders. At the bottom position, try cuing your elbows "in", almost like the rack position of a clean or front squat. Get the "platform" you're launching the bar off as tight as possible. Like Rip says, shoes will also help.

starting strength coach development program
    Previously I was putting the webbing of my thumb about a half inch outside the knurling. Since you told me to narrow my grip I’ve been setting up a half inch inside the knurling.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12