starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Squat stance too narrow

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    From what I can see this looks fine, other than being perhaps a bit too deep. What is the connection between your initial problem and this squat? Can you not squat as much weight when doing these?

Anthropometry might make your low bar squat look somewhat more like a high bar squat but your low bar squat will still be the more efficient movement.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    You post a video that is supposed to show back angle, and you shoot it so that the plates cover up the back angle. I'm done here, you guys want to puzzle this out, go ahead.
    The point of the third video was to show that my knees did not travel far forward off my toes. This required a shot from the side which meant the plates would block the view of my back.

If you would like to see the back angle the first two videos, both shot from the back quarters, should suffice.

Even if your back angle is correct, which from the video I still don't think it is, you are not squatting correctly.

You are going to have to use a tubow, get your knees to it in one motion instead of the weird double pump thing you do(I have never seen anyone do that) and then stop moving them. Hips back and lean over.

Also I can't tell from the video but you need to get your knees out in line with your toes. They looked like they caved in.

Quote Originally Posted by bigbonustoday View Post

Potentially related to this - I've been having some pain in my IT band lately. A sports medicine doctor told me it's due to weak glutes.

My question - can a narrow squat stance leave out glutes and cause weakness there?

Thank you.
    No. Your hips will have to be active in the squat as completing the movement requires both knee extension (quads) and hip extension (glutes).

If you're having discomfort in your IT band its usually related to excessive tightness in the IT band itself - I get it very badly myself but it can be easily managed by some foam rolling, quite often at first but once its under control, just once a week will be adequate.

If you're concerned with weak glutes then Squats are one of the best ways to remedy the same!

Bigbonus, let me see if I can add something. (Not an SSC)

Rip made clear your back should be more horizontal.

You posted a picture. Look at it and focus on your tibia. If your tibia were closer to vertical, then, to avoid falling backward, you’d have no choice but to shove your butt back further - and by necessity your torso would be more horizontal. Because of the anthropometry you mention, your torso may not get quite as horizontal as some other lifters’, but the angle should improve. Try that and post a video or photo and maybe an SSC (not me) can review it.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbonustoday View Post
    I see your point. Back too vertical. And I get that you might be frustrated if this is very obvious and could have been easily learned otherwise. I'm in fact an avid follower of your books/articles/podcast/videos. I do think some in the starting strength universe have defined low/high bar squat in terms of bar position on shouler. Here's a video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Jq39iErdho&t=11s) from a starting strength coach. Around 1:10 says exactly that.
    I see the source of your confusion, BBT. There's the movement model and there's how to get the lifter to produce the movement according to the model. The bar position is one of the necessary factors in getting the lifter to produce a low bar squat. It is not the only one, however. What you do with your chest and hips and legs and such are also necessary.

You can put the bar in a low bar position and still squat a high bar squat. (It is very, very difficult, if not impossible to do a low bar squat with the bar in the high bar position, however.) If you put the bar low and still have an upright torso angle, this makes it a high bar squat, regardless of the bar placement. Yes, a long-torso lifter will have a more vertical back angle than he would with different anthropometry, but he still needs to learn to point his sternum down, reach back with his butt, and stay in his hips as much as possible - take a guess as to how I know this...

I've found this video from Dr. Sullivan to be a helpful visualization: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SD2ZDJf6vMY

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12