starting strength gym

Thread: Squat rack on top of stall mats?

Default Squat rack on top of stall mats?

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    I’m not building a platform yet but I’m going to Tractor Supply for two mats tomorrow. I have a Rogue RML-2 in the garage with a cement floor and plan to put one mat across the front. I was going to cut the second one to fit within the base but now I’m thinking of not cutting the mat and putting the rack on top of it. Keeping both mats whole for now seems like a good idea. What do you think? The ceiling is plenty high.

The mats can handle cattle and horses, so the weight isn't a problem, if that's what you're asking. I'd be more concerned about the rack not being bolted down. If your ceiling is high, then the thickness of two or three layers of 3/4” plywood isn't a factor, and you can solidly bolt the rack to that through the stall mat.

You say you're not building a platform YET. What is the nature of the delay?

The rack was super solid on the concrete and I hoped not to change that. Today I put one mat under the rack and it is ok. One day it will get bolted to a platform.
    Delay because My gym and I are in the Novice Phase. As I progress, the garage space will be reconfigured and the platform maybe 8 feet wide and in a different spot.