starting strength gym

Thread: NBA players & postgame lifting

Default NBA players & postgame lifting

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hello Rip, there seems to be a new trend in the NBA: players lifting postgame. Wondering what your thoughts are.

I see no "lifting" here.

Exercise type and intensity also vary based on players; high-minutes guys tend to do less, while low-minutes guys have more energy. Teams that have multiple players engaging in postgame workouts may have tailored plans for each player to optimize their performance and recovery.
    Imagine getting benched and being assigned dumbass exercises as punishment.

Dan John said back in the 60s throwers would do their heaviest lifting right after a meet, giving them a full week to recover. It makes a lot of sense to me

Quote Originally Posted by Subby View Post
    Imagine getting benched and being assigned dumbass exercises as punishment.
    Most of these players do accessory lifts and lots of gimmicky stuff. I'm sure you've seen LeBron's famous squat video.

Steph Curry got tons of attention for his 400 lb. deadlift. The training regimen is a joke, but I've wondered how they balance lifting (real lifting) with 82 games.

Quote Originally Posted by gregpall603 View Post
    Most of these players do accessory lifts and lots of gimmicky stuff. I'm sure you've seen LeBron's famous squat video.

Steph Curry got tons of attention for his 400 lb. deadlift. The training regimen is a joke, but I've wondered how they balance lifting (real lifting) with 82 games.
    I hadn't actually seen that video before but I think this comment said it best:
    "thats not a squat. Thats a man making an invitation to other men."

Quote Originally Posted by gregpall603 View Post
    The training regimen is a joke, but I've wondered how they balance lifting (real lifting) with 82 games.
    Clearly, by not really lifting at all.

As good as some of these guys are doing a bunch of nonsense, I wonder how much better they would be with actual barbell training.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod J View Post
    As good as some of these guys are doing a bunch of nonsense, I wonder how much better they would be with actual barbell training.
    Their "strength coaches" believe that they are good because of the silly bullshit they program.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Their "strength coaches" believe that they are good because of the silly bullshit they program.
    And this problem permeates and persists all the way down to the lowest levels of sport. Mind boggling, really.