starting strength gym

Thread: Texas method 6x a week(upper/lower day)

Default Texas method 6x a week(upper/lower day)

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    I just finished the advanced progression of SS as written in practical programming and started moving onto Texas method. but between the kids and work I don't consistently have 2 hours to lift on the volume days, however I could do 1 hour(or a little more on the volume leg day) a night 6x a week. Would doing the following routine be ok- (I know it of course wouldn't be as good as the as written routine)?

Mon: Squat and Power clean or snatch volume day
    Tues: Bench or press volume day
    Weds: Squat and snatch or clean recovery day
    Thurs: Press or bench recovery day
    Fri: Squat and deadlift intensity day
    Sat: Bench or press intensity day

Or am I missing out on a lot by doing this and would be better off just doing a totally different routine?

What is it with this sudden influx of people wanting to lift 6x/week? Is there someone out there advocating it?

Huskers, look at how the NLP is modified as you go along. DL every training day becomes every other training day. Squats go from every day increases to a "light day" in between increases. Maybe the press goes from 3 sets of 5 to 5 sets of 3. What each of these has in common is making an incremental change, preferably of a single independent variable at a time, to resume progress and see what happens.

Don't jump wholesale to a new program - tweak the one you have. Make small, discrete changes and see what happens. This way, you'll learn more about how your body responds, and what you need right now. Not every change you make will work - and that's okay. That's how you learn. It's how you grow.

Post-novice programming is where you learn how to program, but look at the prescribed changes and how they worked for you to get ideas on how to move forward. Over time, yes, your program will look like an established one, be it HLM, 4-day split, or even MAYBE Texas Method. (Though it probably won't look like TM, because just the fact that you have kids and work means you're not the sort of person for whom TM will work anyway, as you already see.)

What you propose will beat you into the ground, because of the nature of the SRA cycle, and the fact that squats and DLs are not "leg day" exercises. It's not about body parts.

Unless you're on steroids. If you are, then...have at it, I guess?

Just do a 4 day split. You can have a heavy day and a medium day at each lift weekly. I think the grey book states strength training or so called "power lifting" is better with splits that call for 3 to 4 days.

Four day split in the grey book is what they usually recommend. Hlms work well too, but there’s a few videos where rip says don’t to tm unless you’re a young guy with no responsibilities

TM works best for young guys who can usually sleep 8+ hrs per night, consistently eat a large nutritious calorie surplus and don't have circumstances that even occasionally might get in the way of recovery.

So dads working full time (especially a physical job) might be better suited with some other intermediate programming found in PPST3. Hopefully others in the same circumstance will chime in with what they've had good results from.

starting strength coach development program
    6 days a week would be rough recovery wise. & also eat up your time in a different way. You'd go from having 4 flexible nights a week to only 1.

I'm not the expert but if it was me: 3 days where you cap it out at 1.30 or 1.45 hours & arrange your time differently. If you really could only spend an hour a day than imo: 4 days > 5 days > 6 days.