starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Could not complete 3x5, did 5x3 instead: Good call?

Default Could not complete 3x5, did 5x3 instead: Good call?

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    6 sessions into NLP training 2 to 3 times per week. Scheduled to squat 130lbs for 3x5 after 48hr break. I neither ate nor slept enough during the break and, lets just say, I did not make the healthiest late-night choices before todays training session. Did not want to miss a workout so went in knowing I would suffer. Completely gassed at 3rd rep of squat work set; it was not happening. Tried again and same result. Instead of bailing I decided to just complete 5x3 before moving on to the bench press since 3 reps on the squat felt do-able. My questions;

-Was this the right call (or at least not a terrible one) in this situation or should I have hung it up and tried again with my work weight next session?

-On my next squat attempt, should I go ahead and jump up to 135 lbs. for 3x5 or re-attempt the 130lbs. which I failed to complete during todays training?

42yo
    185lbs.

Thanks for any insight/advice on this small matter.

CS

The Reset: Why and How by Rori Alter, DPT SSC

This was the right call. If you can get 135 for 3x5 next session then go for it. You probably can. Try to keep 5's going for as long as you can. You could be more conservative and try to repeat 130 3x5: it's only a one day difference, so it's really down to how you feel.

You're above 40, which is the age that triples start to work better than 5's for some people. If you hit another stall you might try to push squat triples. But try to at least get your bodyweight for 5.

How tall are you?

You're wayyyy too early in the NLP to be stalling, it sounds like you know what the problem is so just keep the calories and sleep taken care of and keep adding 5lbs to the bar. This is going to be the "easiest" training of your life, so get the sleep and nutrition dialed in now. Aka eat and sleep more than you think you need to.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan DCNT View Post
    You're wayyyy too early in the NLP to be stalling, it sounds like you know what the problem is so just keep the calories and sleep taken care of and keep adding 5lbs to the bar. This is going to be the "easiest" training of your life, so get the sleep and nutrition dialed in now. Aka eat and sleep more than you think you need to.
    Haha, definitely. I agree 100%. Did not think I was stalling. I just know I did not eat/sleep well enough during previous 48hrs and what I was hinting at in my post was that I was, well...Really hungover.
    Headed to the fridge right now!

Quote Originally Posted by Maybach View Post
    The Reset: Why and How by Rori Alter, DPT SSC

This was the right call. If you can get 135 for 3x5 next session then go for it. You probably can. Try to keep 5's going for as long as you can. You could be more conservative and try to repeat 130 3x5: it's only a one day difference, so it's really down to how you feel.

You're above 40, which is the age that triples start to work better than 5's for some people. If you hit another stall you might try to push squat triples. But try to at least get your bodyweight for 5.

How tall are you?
    Thanks for the feedback.
    I am 6'2'' on a good day, but really a lanky 6'1''.

I sometimes (always, actually) forget I am in my forties and that is interesting about the triples; I actually felt like I got a lot out of that rep range as far as enough "work" to drive adaptation ( I guess I will know for sure next session) but I was able to squat with better/more consistent form while accumulating the same volume (or tonnage?). I have been meaning to pick up the book on training for older lifters so this might be a good time (I have PP and SSBBT).

Bodyweight for 5 reps is actually my current goal, along with in/around 1.5(BW) on the deadlift, .75(BW) on the bench, and .5(BW) on the press. Would be pretty ecstatic to get those numbers, especially if it could be accomplished 5lbs at a time over the next couple months.

Your problem is that you are 6'1" at 185.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Your problem is that you are 6'1" at 185.
    Haha, I knew that was coming. But, for the record, I am certain the problem from my original post was most certainly the whiskey...

I meant to and should have added that I am aware that I assume my body weight would need to increase to get in/around those numbers according to all the information on this site and from the books. I have actually lost some weight since (maybe 5lbs or so) since the first training session so clearly more calories are needed. With that said, two questions come to mind:

First, At 6'1'', would 205 lbs. be a reasonable body weight for an adult male wanting to get those numbers for their work sets?

Secondly, and this is something I still do not fully grasp, is the idea of "pound for pound" strength (or something akin to that if that is actually a thing). That is to say the ratio of being able to lift heavy weights for a given body weight. I stumbled on some stats for someone who I believe was or is a SS coach and he had his numbers listed for various lifts. At 198 lbs. his DL was in the high 600s, squat in the 400s etc. I assume these are 1 rep max's and not 5's but these seem to be heavy lifts for someone at 200 pounds (Or maybe they are not, WTF do I know?) when there is so much emphasize in the program about adding weight while building strength.
    Is it primarily related to weight per height as in my 185lb at 6'1'' is significantly different then 185lb at say 5'6''? Is it more to do with genetic potential of an individual-smaller guy/gal can just lift more then bigger guy/gal at similar heights?

Basically, I feel that I often see and here about people not much heavier then me who seem lifting what I perceive to be very heavy weights which seems to fly counter to the notion of continually adding bodyweight to drive up poundage on the lifts. Any insight or linked articles on this question would be appreciated. And of note, I am not making the argument that I do not need to put on more weight or, more importantly, that what I perceive is actually true...

Thanks

CS

You're 6 sessions in. You failed because you decided you weren't going to be able to make the 5 reps before even starting the workout. It was 135 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by asm44 View Post
    You're 6 sessions in. You failed because you decided you weren't going to be able to make the 5 reps before even starting the workout. It was 135 lbs.
    Whose question, exactly, are you answering with this post? It surely was not mine. Besides, Mark already gave the typical insulting/accusatory/dogmatic answer to a question that was not answered, which is fine by me. I am not sure why we would need another one...

Also, how you know that decided I was not going to be be able to make all 5 reps before even starting the workout is fascinating. Going through warm-up sets, loading the bar to the prescribed weight (5lbs more then last time) and attempting to complete 3 work sets sure sounds like the process of a man with a plan to me.

And yes, 135lbs. The point? Is it that I am "not strong"? No crap. That is why I am strength training. Seven sessions ago my squat was 95lbs for the work sets now going on to 135lbs. I am quantifiably about 42 percent stronger then I was only a couple weeks ago, and that is just one lift: I am downright ecstatic.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by cskol View Post
    6 sessions into NLP training 2 to 3 times per week. Scheduled to squat 130lbs for 3x5 after 48hr break. I neither ate nor slept enough during the break and, lets just say, I did not make the healthiest late-night choices before todays training session. Did not want to miss a workout so went in knowing I would suffer. Completely gassed at 3rd rep of squat work set; it was not happening.
    This is what he meant.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast