starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: GOMAD or POBAD?

Default GOMAD or POBAD?

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    I know I've already posted about this before, but please hear me out. It's just a different perspective.

POBAD = Pound of beef a day.

It just hit me that 1L of the Arla lactofree milk I buy here costs the same as 0.5lb of ground beef, and they have EXACTLY the same number of calories (560). The beef is higher in protein though, at 50g/0.5lb compared to 33g/1L for the milk.

Also the beef probably provides more or at least better quality nutrients than milk. This makes sense intuitively because beef is the actual cow - the fat and muscles that moved around and did work, whereas milk is simply a liquid it produces for its young.

Also for what it's worth, milk only comes from female cows, whereas beef can come from males.

An example of nutrient quality is heme vs non-heme iron. Heme iron is only found in meat and has been shown to be easier to absorb and less affected by caffeine. On the other hand non-heme iron, which is the type that predominates in milk and plant foods, isn't absorbed as well and its absorption is affected by caffeine.

What would you prefer to spend your money on? A good, masculine, juicy nutrient dense chunk of ground beef, or a weak, cold, feminine, white vegan-like liquid?

The reason why adding a gallon of milk works for people struggling to gain weight is because it's a liquid, and can therefore be added to any meal pretty easily without making you feel too full. Beyond that, it's all protein: get it however you like

And it's cheap, available everywhere, and doesn't have to be cooked.

A pound of beef a day really isn’t that much.

I was a natural GOMADer around the ages of 12-15 or so. I’d never heard the acronym but I was growing and hungry and my mom kept milk in the fridge. I still love it but I’m 42 and I’d get fat drinking a gallon a day.

Beef is easy though. Some hamburger meat or some cutlets with your eggs in the morning, couple burgers at lunch, and steak or roast at supper and you can eat a pound and a half or two pounds a day without even trying.

Two pounds of ground beef is indeed not hard to do. Now add ANOTHER pound.

GOMAD is a way to add calories and protein to your diet. It isn't a medicine. If you drink a gallon of milk a day, and don't eat anything else, you won't fare much better.

Quote Originally Posted by mathgainer View Post
    I know I've already posted about this before, but please hear me out. It's just a different perspective.

POBAD = Pound of beef a day.

It just hit me that 1L of the Arla lactofree milk I buy here costs the same as 0.5lb of ground beef, and they have EXACTLY the same number of calories (560). The beef is higher in protein though, at 50g/0.5lb compared to 33g/1L for the milk.

Also the beef probably provides more or at least better quality nutrients than milk. This makes sense intuitively because beef is the actual cow - the fat and muscles that moved around and did work, whereas milk is simply a liquid it produces for its young.

Also for what it's worth, milk only comes from female cows, whereas beef can come from males.

An example of nutrient quality is heme vs non-heme iron. Heme iron is only found in meat and has been shown to be easier to absorb and less affected by caffeine. On the other hand non-heme iron, which is the type that predominates in milk and plant foods, isn't absorbed as well and its absorption is affected by caffeine.

What would you prefer to spend your money on? A good, masculine, juicy nutrient dense chunk of ground beef, or a weak, cold, feminine, white vegan-like liquid?
    The protein in the milk is extra potent since it is extracted from a cow, and the cow is made of beef. So a POBAD does not equate a GOMAD on a cellular level.

Quote Originally Posted by Sturw View Post
    The protein in the milk is extra potent since it is extracted from a cow, and the cow is made of beef. So a POBAD does not equate a GOMAD on a cellular level.
    Am I the only one reading this and wondering what it means?

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Donaldson View Post
    Am I the only one reading this and wondering what it means?
    Gomad > Pobad due to science.

Quote Originally Posted by Maybach View Post
    The reason why adding a gallon of milk works for people struggling to gain weight is because it's a liquid, and can therefore be added to any meal pretty easily without making you feel too full. Beyond that, it's all protein: get it however you like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    And it's cheap, available everywhere, and doesn't have to be cooked.
    Those are very good points. I guess it makes it easy to meet your calorie/protein goals while eating less meals.

Quote Originally Posted by Sturw View Post
    Eating beef gives me a pump without even going to the gym.

starting strength coach development program
    If eating is not an issue I believe POBAD, or 2POBAD, or even 3POBAD would be superior to GOMAD.
    Ground beef contains creatine and collagen.
    Best would be both....eat as much beef as you can, then drink as much whole milk as you can.
    Would also be beneficial to add a little bit of beef liver.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast